Thursday, March 10, 2011

Websites embrace cyberbullying software

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/business&id=8004426

Bullying has moved from the schoolyard to the Internet, and sometimes with tragic consequences. However, new behind-the-scenes technology is gaining a foothold to protect children from cyberbullying.

It is unsettling to hear experts say half of all teenagers encounter bullying online, and it drives 20 percent of them to think about suicide. A British company has a one-of-a-kind solution online sites in the United States are starting to embrace.
On a small but growing number of sites, software is starting to track conversations in search of bullying. Language -- certain words we can't use on TV -- are the primary triggers. But other clues include spelling, punctuation and the speed of keystrokes. The result is a psychograph.

 
 
I think this is important because there are so many young people who take what others say to heart and will actaully consider killing themselves. For those who actually go through with it we can only imagine what that does to their families. I feel really bad for kids who experience bullying and i think this is a good start to putting a stop to it.
 
this has to do with government beucase they are the ones embracing these new websites to try and put a stop to cyberbulling. I just watched on the news that Obama and his wife have taken an intersest in putting a stop to bullying which i think sends a good message.

6 comments:

  1. I agree. I think bullying is pointless and the fact that people even go as far as putting it on the internet is dumb. Putting a stop to it is a great thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think they should put this on all the social websites to stop kids from saying stuff to kids that they wouldn't say to their face at school or somewhere else. and they should press charges against the kids that are caught bullying others or threatening them. there needs to be more programs like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with this. Bullying is honestly stupid and childish thing that happened in elementary school. This needs to stop and I hope it does because I feel bad for these kids that get bullyed to and the ones bullying need to be dealt with in a serious manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this is a very important topic. Bullying seems to be getting worse and it needs to come to a stop. I think anyway that they can stop online bullying is great. I am also glad to hear Obama wants to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a good idea. I mean you don't really think how many people get affected by cyber bullying. And some kids do take it personally and thigs should be done to prevent it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, this is something that should have been started a while ago. It's sad that you have to wait til something bad happens for anything to get done. I still think more bullying goes on in school, though txt and on the internet then most people really think does.

    ReplyDelete